Public engagement and outreach
Bright Club & Science Showoff
An 8 minute stand-up comedy routine about my academic research and experiences as a PhD student.
I have performed at:
- the Natural History Museum, Bright Club, 06/2014
- the Royal Society Summer Exhibition, Science Showoff, 06/2014
- the Green Man Music Festival, Bright Club, 08/2014
- the Bloomsbury Theatre, Science Showoff, 11/2014
Why aren’t all penguins criminals?
An outreach initiative funded by UCL CoMPLEX and UCL Widening Participation. A lesson plan and competition aimed at explaining mathematical modelling to 13–14 year olds based on a game theoretic model of criminal penguins. I was part of the team who developed the project; I now jointly lead the project. Over three years, over 190 lesson packs have been sent free of charge to schools.
We demonstrated this project in a workshop at the London Festival of Education 2015.
I have run modified versions of the material at:
- ‘University Challenge’ session, UCL, 02/2013
- a visit from Grassmoor Primary School to UCL, 03/2013
- the Green Man music festival as part of Einstein’s Garden, 08/2014
Pimp My Medicine
Exploring personalised medicine using craft materials. I helped implement and run this activity at the Francis Crick Institute’s Science Museum Late, 02/2014.
Francis Crick Institute science/art workshops
I have assisted with individual sessions within primary schools for the Francis Crick Institute’s Winter Workshops:
- with Lizzie Burns/Tree of Life, 10–11/2012
- with Susan Purser Hope, 11–12/2013
- with Lorena Carbajal, 12/2014
I have assisted with individual sessions at festivals for other Science/Art workshops:
- Lizzie Burns/Build-a-Brain Workshop, Barbican ‘Brain Waves’ Event, 03/2013
- Lizzie Burns/Tree of Life, Bloomsbury Festival, 10/2013
I’m a Scientist Get Me Out of Here
Answering pupils’ science questions in online chats. I took part in the Lead Zone in the June 2016 event.
Performing brief science demonstrations in public spaces.
I have represented the Francis Crick Institute at:
- the START Festival, 08/2012
- St Pancreas station, during the 2012 Olympics, 08–09/2012
- the Royal Veterinary College (RVC) Lates, 10/2012
- the Festival of Neuroscience, 04/2013
- the Francis Crick Institute’s Topping Out Event, performing for Sir Paul Nurse and the Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osbourne, 06/2013
- the Imperial Festival, 05/2014
- the Royal Veterinary College (RVC) Late, 10/2014
- the Curious Festival, 08/2015
I have represented University College London at:
- the UCL Open Day, 6/2013
- the Newham Waterfront Festival, 09/2013
- Science London’s Xmas Extravaganza, 12/2013
- the St Paul’s Way Trust School Science Summer School, 08/2014
I have represented the MRC for the MRC Centenary, 06/2013.
I have performed with Maths Busking at:
- the Big Bang Fair 2013, London, 03/2013
- the Big Bang Fair 2014, Birmingham, 03/2014
- St. Dominic’s Sixth Form College, 01/2013
- City and Islington College, 03/2014
- Southgate school, 11/2014